There have been incidents of robbery or fraud in Cagayan de Oro involving gay people.
To avoid getting swindled or robbed, here are some advise or tips to follow :
1. When meeting someone online, check their Facebook account or if not see each other through webcam. Today, most people have Facebook or webcams, so if that person does not have one, that is a warning sign.
2. If the person you meet online wants to meet with you immediately in your hotel room or apartment, that is a warning sign. Meet this person first in a public area or through webcam. If you do not like the person you are meeting, you can make an excuse and leave the place or simply turn off the webcam.
3. If you bring these strangers to your hotel room or apartment/home, make sure the hotel has a CCTV camera and the guy should register or surrender an ID to the hotel receptionist. Better yet, leave your valuables with the hotel receptionist for safe keeping and instruct them never to give it to anyone except you. Take a photo of the guy using your phone and send it to friends. If at home, make sure someone is at home to assist you in case of emergencies.
4. Gay swindlers are now in social networking sites. If the profile photo is not the same with the actual person you meet, that is a warning sign. Make an excuse and leave immediately. Do not anymore entertain them.
5. If someone asks you for a night out with his so called "friends and cousins", that is a warning sign. You might end up paying all of the drinks and even more. Sometimes you go out in a date, only to find out that his "cousin" will join you later. If this happens, make an excuse and leave! These swindlers sometimes operate in pairs or groups.
6. When in a motel, if the guy insists that you take a shower first, this is a warning sign. This is an opportunity for these swindlers to take your belongings and even your clothes. If you shower, take your clothes with you inside the bathroom and lock the door.
7. If you meet someone new and that guy wants to have sex with you, ask that person, are you a call boy? Some of these guys would not tell you that they are call boys. After sex they would suddenly ask money from you, even though you have not talked about it.
8. If a gay swindler threatens you that he will create a scene or "mag eskandalo" if you do not give your belongings, you should reply....GO AHEAD! PAG ESKANDALO. These swindlers are just bluffing. They do not really want to create a scene or else they will get involved in it and their identity exposed.
Share this with friends! If you have been a victim of these swindlers, REPORT them to the Police!