On June 15, 1950, the Municipality of Cagayan de Misamis was declared a city and its name changed to Cagayan de Oro. The words "de Oro" were appended to name of Cagayan by the late Misamis Representative Emmanuel Pelaez (who later became Vice President of the Philippines) in honor of the gold mining activities around area.
|The original San Agustin Cathedral of Cagayan built in 1845. It was damaged in 1945 during World War II. The present cathedral was built in its place after the war.|